Sunday, August 1, 2010

July race updates: San Rafael Grand Prix

San Rafael Grand Prix - July 10th:
 
We had a small but lively crew for the Masters event; Mark, Tom and myself lined up to represent our sponsors in this high-profile (for the local Marin crowd) event.
 
I did an early sat ride to get dialed as the race was at 4pm, and during my morning ride I felt a bit flat (which is a good sign for later). warmed up briefly with Tom and enjoyed his trackie style jumps on the road bike (can spot a track rider on a road bike a mile away - just looks like they are trying to make a normal gear roll like a fixie, its funny).
 
The race starts and maybe 5 laps into the short 40min crit there is a small group OTF with a specialized rider and and a few
safeways etc maybe 10secs up the road. as we roll by S/F line they ring it for a prime, so I rather easily bridge up to the group on back stretch and wax them easily for the prime and notice I'm nose breathing in the 12 and with a good break so thinking I can finally win this thing being the hometownn race and all. then lady luck decides to shit on my head; very next corner a safeway in the break rolls a tire (not enough glue!) - he doesn't crash and roll - he rolls and crashes (fred move!) - I'm right on the wheel and barely get around him at the apex of the corner but his bike goes into my leg and I lock it up and go into the barriers and end with a slomo endo but don't hit pavement myself. anyway my bars are twisted a bit, however after getting back into the back of the field I notice my front brake is tweaked over rubbing the rim where I spend the duration of the race  trying to move it over on the fly. I run Campy components and there is no quick-release but a dial and I can't turn it while riding too well. anyway I felt like dropping out as I'm not into riding a race with the brake rubbing, however don't as so many
people come to watch this one.
 
Fast forward to the last few laps it gets strung out and fast and Tom really sets me up nicely on the last lap, I mean perfect. I roll in for 7th with a compromised bike. just goes to show even if you are flying it always takes a little luck as well. have to say if all was normal it was very likely I would have won the way I felt, and if it did end up a field sprint Tom's effort and positioning was great, its just too bad things went south with the mishap, that's racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment